- 8 cups whole wheat bread crumbs torn into 1 inch cubes (whole wheat French bread was used in this recipe)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips Enjoy Life Chips are gluten, soy and dairy free
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar syrup unrefined, optional sucanat or wild flower honey
- 1 cup pecans diced
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup milk low fat
- 1 cup lite coconut milk can – optional almond milk or low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unrefined coconut palm sugar optional, 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup milk low fat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Lightly mist the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add bread cubes to the slow cooker. In a medium mixing bowl, combine chocolate chips, cocoa, coconut palm sugar, 3/4 cup pecans and salt. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour mixture over bread and stir until all bread is moist. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pecans on top, cover and cook on low 3 hours. Recommend 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut palm sugar and cornstarch. Add milk and cook over medium-low heat, or until desired thickness. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to combine. Drizzle sauce over warm bread pudding, about one tablespoon per serving.
- On a tight budget? Here’s how to save some money when making this recipe:A loaf of Whole Wheat French bread can be purchased at most Walmart bakeries for about .99centsUse all low-fat milk in place of coconut milk or almond milkPurchase your grocery store’s chocolate chips brandOmit pecans or use a less expensive nut
The fat in this recipe comes primarily from the pecans and coconut milk, all healthy fats. To reduce the fat and calories, omit the pecans and use all low-fat milk in place of coconut milk.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 60mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11